Calf dies in garage blaze near Miller, house saved

Calf dies in garage blaze near Miller, house saved
Courtesy/City of Kearney
February 21st, 2024 | RRN

Miller, Neb. — At 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, the Miller Volunteer Fire Department was called to a structure fire about one-mile north of Miller. It occurred near east Highway 40 & north Highway 183.

The homeowner called the fire in, however the fire was also noticed by a passerby who stopped beside the road.

Miller Fire Chief Phillip Schroeder says the fire was attended to by Sumner and Eddyville firefighters as well as Miller because the three communities work together through a standing mutual aid arrangement…

“It was a garage that caught on fire. There was some investigation…I believe it was a ‘heat lamp’ that I believe a calf kicked over into some hay and started the fire. It was close to the house, it did melt some of the siding, but we were able to save the house. And there were no injuries either.”

The State Fire Marshal came to the scene and determined the fire was caused by the calf, which perished in the fire. The approximately 10′ by 12′ garage was destroyed. A dollar amount of damage was not available.

Miller brought three trucks and Eddyville brought two. Approximately 15-20 firefighters went to the scene.

Chief Schroeder was thankful for the mutual aid provided by Eddyville & Sumner firefighters. The Buffalo County Sheriff’s Office also came to the scene to assist with directing of traffic.


© 2024 Nebraska Rural Radio Association. All rights reserved. Republishing, rebroadcasting, rewriting, redistributing prohibited. Copyright Information