Loup River Distilling of St. Paul, Nebraska, was awarded by the American Craft Spirits Association for its Nebraska Straight Bourbon.
The American Craft Spirits Association (ACSA) announced the medalists of the 2021 Heartland Whiskey Competition, which was open to craft whiskies from all 50 states that incorporate corn in their mash bill (the mix of grains used to make whiskey).
In this third, biennial blind judging event, whiskeys from 17 “Heartland” states also competed for Best in State, and all entries competed for Best of Show and in their select whiskey sub-categories.
“It is important to recognize that craft distillers, an industry that relies on the corn we grow, have sustained their businesses through trying times and continue to improve an already excellent product,” said Mark Wilson, chairman of the Illinois Corn Marketing Board. “Corn growers throughout the heartland, through their participating corn associations, support these entrepreneurs, many of whom are working farmers and all of whom are customers of ours.”
Nebrask’toberfest: Loup River Distilling
2021 Heartland Whiskey Competition Category Medalists:
- Blended – High Bank Whiskey War Double Oaked, High Bank Distillery Co.
- Bourbon (tie) – Casey Jones Kentucky Straight Bourbon, Casey Jones Distillery & Single Barrel Straight Bourbon, Black Button Distilling
- Corn Whiskey – Rockfish Whiskey, Weldon Mills Distillery
- Four Grain – Four Grain Bourbon, Detroit City Distillery
- Rye – White Rye, Lake House Distilling Co.
- Straight – Third Wind Straight Bourbon, Third Wind Distilling
The 2021 Best in State Medalists are:
- Colorado – Ella Jones Colorado Straight Bourbon, The Family Jones
- Illinois – JK Williams Gold Zephyr Bourbon, JK Williams Distilling
- Indiana – Straight Rye Whiskey, Cardinal Spirits
- Iowa – Iowa Straight Bourbon, Cedar Ridge Distillery
- Kansas – Wabash Reserve Bourbon Whiskey, Boot Hill Distillery
- Kentucky – Casey Jones Kentucky Straight Bourbon, Casey Jones Distillery
- Michigan – Bourbon Finished In Mezcal Barrels, Iron Fish Distillery
- Minnesota – Brickyard Straight Bourbon, J. Carver Distillery
- Missouri – Monon Bell Bourbon Cask Strength, Still 630
- Nebraska- Nebraska Straight Bourbon, Loup River Distilling
- New York – Single Barrel Straight Bourbon, Black Button Distilling
- North Carolina – Rockfish Whiskey, Weldon Mills Distillery
- North Dakota – Crooked Furrow, Proof Artisan Distillers
- Ohio – High Bank Whiskey War Double Oaked, High Bank Distillery Co.
- Tennessee – 1784 White Tennessee Whiskey, Lost State Distilling
- Texas – Garrison Brothers Cowboy, Garrison Brothers Distillery
- Wisconsin – Small Batch Straight Bourbon Whiskey, Driftless Glen Distillery