Officials say a rural Mitchell couple suffered what’s likely a total loss when fire broke out at their home Friday afternoon.
Mitchell Volunteer Fire Chief Jon Wurdeman tells KNEB News it took three to four hours for firefighters from his department, as well as the Scottsbluff, Scottsbluff Rural and Gering Fire Departments to control and knock down the flames at the home on Sunflower Oil Road about three-quarters of a mile north of Highway 26.
Wurdeman says the homeowners had left for an appointment earlier in the day, and around 2:30 p.m. one of his firefighters driving past the residence noticed smoke coming from the eaves of the roof.
He says the State Fire Marshall’s office determined the blaze started with weed burning that took place the day before that wasn’t completely put out, and smoldered inside the walls until breaking out Friday.
The family of two lost one pet in the fire, and damage to the home was estimated at $125,000.
Carissa Schank with Firefighter Ministry says her organization provided assistance to the family, and a GoFundMe account has been set up to help the couple take care of their remaining pet and provide for daily needs until insurance benefits can be received.