It was a busy opening weekend of basketball right here in town with the three day, four location girls and boys Western Conference Tournaments.
In the boys final on Saturday the Scottsbluff Bearcats knocked off Sidney by the final of 65-59. Tate Talkington was his usual great self on the defensive end but also led the Cats in scoring with 19 points. Kellon Harris also hit double figures with 18 while the young freshman, Nate Kelley, continued to impress with 15 points.
Sidney’s top scorers on the day were Micah Schneider and Isak Doty.
In the girls championship game it was all Sidney as the Lady Raiders took it to their rival, Scottsbluff, and won 51-37. Reese Riddle led Sidney with 21 points and they got a great effort from Rheagan Stanley, who was the main defender on the Bearcats Payton Burda, holding her to just 2 points.
Paige Horne had 17 in the loss for Scottsbluff.
WC Saturday Scores
- Championship: Scottsbluff 65, Sidney 59
- 3rd Place: Sterling CO 56, Gering 39
- 5th Place: Alliance 61, Chadron 45
- 7th Place: Mitchell 71, Arvada CO 55
- Championship: Sidney 51, Scottsbluff 37
- 3rd Place: Chadron 51, Gering 43
- 5th Place: Alliance 45, Sterling 30
- 7th Place: Mitchell 63, Arvada CO 4
OTHER BOYS SCORES
- Bayard 65, Minatare 23
- St. Pat’s 64, Bridgeport 31
- Crawford 49, Sioux County 24
- Garden County 75, Banner County 32
- Gordon-Rushville 52, Ainsworth 51
- Hay Springs 52, Arthur County 41
- Hyannis 53, Hemingford 35
- Leyton 47, Morrill 30
OTHER GIRLS SCORES
- Bridgeport 64, North Platte St. Patrick’s 18
- Bayard 56, Minatare 11
Bayard 59, Potter-Dix 11
- Garden County 60, Banner County 8
- Hay Springs 51, Arthur County 38
- Hemingford 36, Hyannis 21
- Leyton 50, Morrill 34