The Nebraska softball team (20-9) opens Big Ten Conference play this weekend as they host Purdue (15-13) for a three-game series. The first game is set for Friday, March 24, at 5:30 p.m. at Bowlin Stadium. The Huskers and the Boilermakers will face off on Saturday, March 25, with first pitch at 1 p.m. The final game is set for Sunday, March 26, at 12 p.m.
Fans can listen to all three games live on the Huskers Radio Network and Huskers.com with the call from Nate Rohr and Mattie Fowler Burkhardt. The games will also be streamed live on BTN+ (subscription required).
Nebraska currently is in the top three in the Big Ten numerous offensive categories including batting average (.324), runs (159), hits (252), doubles (55), home runs (32) and slugging percentage (.549).
Junior Billie Andrews leads the conference with 10 home runs and is in the top four in slugging percentage (.745) and hits (36). Freshman Katelyn Caneda leads the team with a .403 batting average. Caneda has added 31 hits including four doubles, one triple, two home runs and 21 RBI.
In the circle, Courtney Wallace has been a leader through the first half of the season. Wallace (12-5) has appeared in the circle for 95.0 innings while tallying 58 strikeouts. Sarah Harness (7-3) has added 53.0 innings of work, striking out 60 batters.
Nebraska By the Numbers
- The Huskers lead the Big Ten in shutouts with eight and are ranked 22nd in the NCAA.
- NU has tallied a conference-best 54 doubles, a number that ranks fifth in the nation.
- Nebraska is second in the Big Ten in batting average (.324) and is 20th in the NCAA.
- Katelyn Caneda is sixth in the Big Ten with a .403 batting average, a mark that leads the Big Red.
- Billie Andrews is first in the conference and ninth in the NCAA in home runs with 10 through the first half of the season.
- Billie Andrews and Caitlynn Neal are first and second in the conference in extra-base hits.
- Caitlynn Neal is first in the Big Ten with nine doubles.
- Courtney Wallace has recorded the most wins in the conference with 10. She is also ninth in the NCAA.
- Wallace has recorded three shutout wins this season, a mark that is second in the Big Ten and 29th in the nation.
Opponents By the Numbers
- Purdue holds a .273 batting average, which ranks 10th in the Big Ten.
- The Boilermakers are 12th in the conference with a 3.52 ERA.
- Nebraska and Purdue share five common opponents this season in Weber State, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin and Ohio State.
- Tyrina Jones leads the Boilermaker offense as she is hitting .375 with 36 hits including five doubles, six home runs and 23 RBI.
- Jones has tallied a team-best 18 runs.
- Alex Echazarreta holds a 3.16 ERA and a 5-8 record in the circle. The fifth-year senior has made the most appearances in the circle for the Boilermakers, pitching 51.0 innings.
- Mo Wimpee leads Purdue in the circle with a 2.30 ERA and a 4-2 record. The senior has added 45.2 innings of work.
Husker Quick Hits
- Sarah Harness recorded her 500th career strikeout last weekend. The junior has tallied 60 strikeouts this season and has combined for 500 including her three seasons at Southern Illinois.
- Billie Andrews has tallied 10 home runs this season, she is now seventh all-time in Nebraska history in career homers with 37.
- Andrews is one of 12 returning players in the NCAA who hit 20 or more home runs last season.
- Sarah Harness recorded a no-hitter against New Mexico on Feb. 24, 2023. It marked the first no-hitter by a Nebraska pitcher since 2016.
- Mya Felder is the only returning Big Ten player who received All-Big Ten, All-Defensive and All-Tournament honors in 2022.
- Courtney Wallace is one of six returning Rawlings/NFCA Gold Glove recipients from last season.