Two people were displaced from their home by a fire in Morrill Monday evening.
Morrill Fire Chief Matt Hinman says 17 firefighters with two pumper trucks, two tankers and a support unit responded around 7:30 p.m. to 718 County Road, where the resident who was home at the time had accidentally started a fire when trying to light a wood-burning stove.
Hinman says the only flames present when firefighters arrived were on a single doorway, as the resident had extinguished most of the fire that was limited to primarily one room of the home.
He says the resident suffered minor injuries but refused treatment… as well as refusing any post-incident assistance.
Hinman says water and fire damage was relatively minor, however smoke damage was heavy throughout the structure, leaving it uninhabitable.
The response to the blaze included Morrill Police, Ambulance and City Power, Valley Ambulance and the Scotts Bluff County Sheriff’s Department.