A man who was apprehended by authorities earlier this week near rural Mitchell isn’t the man he said he was.
Scotts Bluff County Sheriff Mark Overman says following a Tuesday morning arrest, the man had identified himself as John Chavez. However on Thursday afternoon, Overman says that John Chavez was a fake name given by 30-year-old Julio Bernal, but was properly identified through fingerprints.
Overman says Julio Bernal is wanted on multiple felony charges in both Colorado and Texas. The warrants that we are aware of at this time are:
Weld County Colorado pending charges
(Under the name Joe Chavez, but identity confirmed as Bernal through fingerprints)
- Kidnapping 1st Degree – imprison/secrete-injure victim
- Robbery/Aggravated – menace victim with deadly weapon
- Assault/cause injury with deadly weapon
- Felony menacing with weapon
Texas pending charges (Brown County and Kerr County)
- False information/Forgery/Fraud
- False statement to obtain property or credit
- False name/False information/Forgery repeat offender
Bernal is in custody at the Scotts Bluff County Detention Center, and is facing local charges in connection to this week’s pursuit. He is also being held on the Colorado and Texas warrants.